Tuesday, October 12, 2010

the second review

again I examined five professional blogs. again I pitted them against their peers. on this occasion, the blog that appealed to me most prominently, simultaneously presenting the wittiest title - "wilfrid at the sign of the pink pig"  - emerged superior amongst a not-so-overwhelming crowd of competitors.

though upon initial inspection of wilfrid's peculiar domain, one might speculate to oneself: "he's crazy!", the author should, and must be given the benefit of doubt. as far as first impressions are concerned, quite simply put, if this comparison were based on general impression, wilfrid would outstandingly fail to impress. you might presently pose the question, why then, do I like this blog?

now, if I were to provide a satisfactory answer, the resulting text would span the impressive length of five pages, so I will compensate for this unacceptable result by providing for you the short-and-sweet version (though it is still relatively tedious)

first off, I despise advertisements. allow me to rephrase, upon hindsight. I maintain a love/hate relationship with them. I hope for their potential presence as any website I am currently attempting to access loads, yet I simultaneously wish for them to simply disappear, though the likelihood of such is rather minimal. it seems wilfrid has discovered a cure for my bipolarity. he incorporates quite a few advertisements into his blog page, yet unceremoniously dismisses them, piling the unfortunate boxes to the rarely-viewed side of the browser.

consequently, wilfrid delivers in the aspect of advertisement management. wilfrid also satisfies the reader with fulfilling verbs and adjectives, the hallmarks of an impressionable author. executing perfectly words like 'swank' and 'contrived'(swank means to flaunt or display proudly, according to princeton's online dictionary), wilfrid's blog collides head-on with competing food blogs and 'knocks 'em' decisively out of the race.

not to mention the content of the blog itself. within two posts, I stumbled upon an overwhelming compilation of information, not only regarding wilfrid's personal tastes, but also about his home, England. while some other bloggers ramble and redirect their attention to matters not related to their initial topic, wilfrid rarely strays from the main pathway, and cuts straight to the chase, and the chase is consistently exciting when performed by wilfrid, considering his relatable choice of subjects, most dealing with strange yet delicious cuisine.

"wilfrid at the sign of the pink pig" proves that less is indeed 'more', much more.

runners-up:
101 cookbooks
anthony bourdain: no reservations
the food section
lick my spoon










No comments:

Post a Comment